The Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation
Those who approach the sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God’s mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example, and by prayer labors for their conversion.
(Catechism of the Catholic Church #1422)
How to go to Confession
1) The Priest will begin with the Sign of the Cross
2) The Penitent begins by saying, “Bless me Father for I have sinned, it has been ____ (number of days, weeks, months, years) since my last confession. These are my sins.”
3) Confess all mortal sins committed since your last confession by kind and number. You may also confess any venial sins.
4) At the end of your confession say these or similar words: ” For these and all the sins of my life I am sorry.”
5) The Priest may ask questions for clarification or give you some counsel on a point from your confession.
6) The Priest will give you a penance.
7) The Penitent makes an act of contrition in these or similar words:
Oh my God , I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because of Thy just punishments. But most of all because they offend Thee my God, who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to sin no more, and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen
8) The Priest will give you absolution. ( The words necessary for forgiveness are, “I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”)
Every Saturday 3:30pm – 4:30pm. English/Spanish
Every 1st Friday after 7:00pm Mass.
Every last Thurs. of the month at 9:15am.
If you need confession at any other time please call the office for an appointment 530.885.2956.